Did you know that skin is your body’s largest organ? It does far more than simply cover your skeleton and keep you warm. Your skin care plays a vital role in maintaining your overall health. It is a fascinating organ that is both resilient and sensitive. Here are five ways you can thank your skin for keeping you healthy:
- Protection: Your skin is your body’s first line of defense. It protects you from harmful bacteria and germs. It also provides protection of deeper tissue from chemicals, bacteria, bumps, and drying.
- Absorption & elimination: Did you know that your skin is actually a digestive organ? It absorbs and eliminates. Your skin eliminates the bad, or harmful products we apply to our skin. But it also absorbs the healthy, organic skin care products we choose to use on our skin. Your body is always working to keep you as vibrant, healthy and beautiful as possible.
- Sensation: Our skin holds millions of cells and nerve endings that help us sense cold, heat and pain. If we didn’t have our skin’s ability to sense and feel, we would be subjecting our bodies to danger on many occasions.
- Regulation: Skin serves as an important regulator of temperature for your body. Sweating is your body’s skin reaction to help cool you off. Conversely, if your body is cold, your vessels narrow in an effort to decrease blood flow through the skin to reduce heat loss and keep you warm.
- Production: Your skin actually makes Vitamin D in response to sun exposure. We know that Vitamin D plays a crucial part of the way your body develops and maintains bone strength.
In light of all your skin does for you every second of the day, it should be at the top of your priorities to take care of it. Olansky Dermatology Associates can give your skin the professional care it needs so it can keep you healthy in return!
Posted on behalf of Dr. Jodi E. Ganz, Olansky Dermatology Associates
Circle Us on Google+