Of all common skin conditions, eczema is one of the most frustrating to manage. Eczema, which can occur at any age, is known for its rough patches of very itchy skin. It is believed that eczema is caused by a gene variation that inhibits the body’s ability to protect the skin. In turn, the skin can become very reactive to allergens, environmental factors, certain foods and other things. The symptoms of eczema can be highly disruptive, so proper management of this skin condition is important. While a dermatologist can offer corticosteroids, antibiotics and even laser therapy to treat eczema, it is critical that patients learn to avoid their triggers.
What Triggers Eczema Flare-Ups?
Eczema triggers can vary from person to person but can include anything that causes their eczema to flare-up, from the temperature in the room to the type of soap they use in the shower. The following are the most common eczema triggers:
- Irritants: Soaps, detergents, shampoo, etc.
- Allergens: Pets, pollen, and mold
- Microbes: Certain bacteria, viruses, and fungi
- Temperature Extremes: Very hot or dry temperatures or high/low humidity
- Certain Foods: Dairy products, eggs, nuts, and seeds
- Hormonal Changes in Women: Including during pregnancy and menstruation
An Expert for Your Eczema
At Olansky Dermatology, we provide skin care for all ages, which undoubtedly includes treating eczema symptoms in kids and adults. We can help you identify your eczema triggers as well as give you other treatment options to lessen your discomfort. We want everyone to feel comfortable and confident in their own skin!