How well do you know your skin? If you want to care for your skin well, you need to first identify your skin type. There are a variety of skin types, and each one has a unique set of needs. Understanding your skin type, whether it is oily, dry or sensitive, can influence important factors such as which facial cleansers you use, your makeup products and even how you treat acne.
Do you best to avoid a “cookie cutter approach” to your skin care regime and identify your skin type first. A board certified dermatologist can certainly help you determine what your skin needs best, but here is some insight on the main skin types to help you get started. Which one can you relate to most?
- Normal Skin – Normal skin means that you rarely experience traces of oil or dryness. Overall, your skin is vibrant, elastic and smooth.
- Dry Skin – Dry skin often presents itself as flaky and tight. It is prone to irritation and may show signs of aging quicker. Dry skin also has fine pores and may exhibit rough or itchy patches on your face.
- Oily Skin – If you find that your face is frequently greasy or shiny, you probably have an oily skin type. This can also make your facial skin appear thicker or coarser. While you may find that your oily skin shows less signs of wrinkles, you need to avoid certain moisturizes, such as thick creams.
- Combination Skin – It is common to have a combination of these skin types. For instance, you may have dry zones around your eyes, but oily areas on your forehead or chin. In such cases, it is important to find the correct balance of skin care products to address each area of your face.
- Sensitive Skin – Sensitive skin may feel like dry skin. However, for those that have this skin type, you will find that certain products cause redness or irritation easily. Sensitive skin patients may find a dramatic improvement in their skin health after they consult with a dermatologist. You may need prescription cleansers and creams if your skin is severely sensitive.
Not sure which skin type you have? Perhaps you know but you aren’t confident in the products you’ve chosen to care for your skin? Schedule a brief visit with one of our dermatologists at Olansky Dermatology Associates. We specialize in helping you look and feel the best in your skin!