No matter how hard we try, we simply can’t avoid the natural aging process. While there are several parts of our bodies that wear out over time, people tend to notice and feel concerned about the effects of aging on their skin the most. As we get older, the skin loses its elasticity. It also becomes thinner, drier and less able to protect itself against damage. When we combine this natural aging process with certain daily habits, it is understandable why certain people experience wrinkles sooner or more severely than others.
The formation of wrinkles can be exaggerated and accelerated by certain factors, including sun exposure, facial expressions, some medications, smoking, genetics and other environmental influences. Beyond genetics, it is safe to say that you may have more control over your wrinkles than you think.
Which of these wrinkle-causing habits are you doing on a daily basis?
- Sedentary Lifestyle: New research reports that exercising for just 30 minutes twice a week can not only can help you retain youthful skin longer, but it may also reverse some skin aging effects that have already occurred.
- Consuming Too Much Sugar and Alcohol: These are substances that are culprits to damaged skin. Alcohol also has the tendency to dry out the skin and enhance the effects of aging on the skin.
- Not Using Sunscreen Year-Round: You may be smart to use sunscreen during the hot summer months. But did you know that the UV rays through your car window can slowly damage the skin on your face and neck over time? Wear sunscreen daily, even when you will only be in the car driving.
- Smoking Cigarettes: Mayo clinic explains the effects of smoking on the skin, “The nicotine in cigarettes causes narrowing of the blood vessels in the outermost layers of your skin. This impairs blood flow to your skin. With less blood flow, your skin doesn’t get as much oxygen and important nutrients. As a result, skin begins to sag and wrinkle prematurely.”
- Repetitive Facial Expressions: We will never tell you to stop smiling. However, do you use a straw on a daily basis or squint because you don’t have sunglasses on? These involve facial movements that can create wrinkles (such as around the mouth and crow’s feet).
- Side Sleeping: Do you find yourself sleeping on the same side night after night? The constant pressure of one side of your face into the pillow can contribute to the onset and severity of facial wrinkles.
- Skipping Your Moisturizer: Your skin needs hydration in order to be healthy and supple. This is especially true during the aging process when your body’s natural skin moisturizers are diminishing. Try not to over-wash your facial skin and don’t forget to add a moisturizer to your regime.
Already noticing the onset of wrinkles? First and foremost, try to avoid the above-mentioned habits. To address the wrinkles and lines that have already formed, there are countless products that claim to reverse the signs of aging. Some of the most effective treatments, however, can be found at your dermatology office.
At Olanksy Dermatology in Atlanta, we offer a full menu of non-surgical treatments in facial rejuvenation, ranging from fillers and facials to chemical peels and microdermabrasion. The earlier you seek treatment for your wrinkles, the more effective your results can be. Call today to learn more!