Micro Needling is an excellent option for patients who want facial rejuvenation without surgery. Although it’s name may sound intimidating, micro needling is minimally invasive, quick and requires virtually no downtime. It works by stimulating your body’s natural response to collagen production and tissue repair.
To help you get comfortable with the idea of micro needling on your face, here are some answers to some frequently asked questions regarding this aesthetic procedure:
How does micro needling work?
- For skin micro-needling, a handheld needling device (such as the Rejuvapen Automatic Therapy System) makes several tiny, micro perforations in the skin’s upper surface, at a depth of only 2mm. This essentially breaks down old scar tissue and stimulates skin cells to multiply. The body’s response is to form new tissue layers of collagen and elastin as well as new capillaries to support better blood flow. As a result, the skin thickens or “plumps” and the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and acne scars can be dramatically reduced.
Who is a candidate for micro needling?
- Only a board certified dermatologist can determine your specific candidacy for micro needling. However, patients who have mild to moderate acne scars, fine lines/wrinkles, loose skin, large pores and stretch marks can benefit from this procedure. It is even safe for sensitive and fragile areas such as those around the eyes and neck. Micro needling may not be suitable for patients who have recently used Accutane, have open wounds or a skin infection or have a history of keloid scarring.
What can I expect after the procedure?
- Many patients experience redness and minor swelling (similar to a mild sunburn), but this is only temporary. Social downtime is kept to a minimum, as inflammatory response from micro needling is typically resolved within 12 to 48 hours. Patients can use hyaluronic acid after procedure to reduce visible redness. Protecting your skin with sunscreen is highly recommended.
When will I see results?
- Within 1-2 weeks, patients will notice that their facial skin is smoother and has a healthier, more radiant tone. Complete results can be seen a few months after micro needling. However, every patient is different.
What are additional benefits of micro needling?
- Besides it’s highlighted advantage of tightening and smoothing the skin, micro needling also boosts the effectiveness of topical, anti-aging products by allowing them to better penetrate the skin.
Have more questions about micro needling or if it is right for you? Contact Olansky Dermatology Associates. We welcome the opportunity to help your skin look and feel its best.