Acne is one of the most well known skin conditions, but it is one that is also very unwelcome. While countless teens and adults suffer from acne, not everyone is forced to deal with embarrassing breakouts. Why do some people suffer more than others? If you think your pimples are simply unfair, here’s some information to help you understand exactly what acne is, what causes this stubborn skin condition and what you can do about it.
- What is acne?
- Acne, or Acne Vulgaris, is a type of chronic inflammatory disease of the oil glands in your skin (or sebaceous follicles). When these get inflamed, papules, pustules, cysts, and even scars can develop. Acne most often appears on the face, but the neck, chest, upper back and upper arms can also be affected. It is a disease that primarily plagues teenagers, as up to 90% of adolescents encounter acne to some degree. Mild acne may present itself as blackheads or comedones, which are not as noticeable and disruptive as the papules, nodules and cysts of moderate to severe acne cases. Acne cysts can be quite painful and scarring is likely to result with such severe cases. Scarring can be a constant reminder of your acne-ridden days.
- What causes acne?
- While the specific cause of acne is unknown, the following are leading factors that contribute to this skin condition:
- Family history
- Overproduction of oil glands
- Abundance of acne bacteria (Propionibacterium acnes) on the skin surface
- Hormone changes (puberty, pregnancy, birth control, menopause)
- What Can Be Done?
- At Olansky Dermatology, we do our best to help teens and adults fight acne breakouts. When over-the-counter cleansers and creams are not effective, we can provide a prescription-strength product that is specifically designed to address your unique skin needs. Our office also proudly offers a number of innovative therapies for acne and acne scarring, including Laser Treatments and Blue Light Photodynamic Therapy. We realize how devastating it can be to suffer from acne when your partner or best friend barely has a blemish. You can trust that we will work hard to develop an effective treatment plan that allows you to be more confident in your complexion.
3379 Peachtree Rd NE, Suite 500
Atlanta, GA 30326
Phone: (404) 355-5484