Teenagers are not the only ones that suffer from acne. Adults, specifically men, commonly battle acne as well. Men tend to find that their skin problem areas are on their body rather than the face. Back acne can be an embarrassing condition for men and may require a visit to a dermatologist to address the problem.
- What Causes Back Acne in Men?
- We are all well aware of the raging hormones that tend to make pimples appear on teenagers, but what about body acne on men? The primary trigger for acne in men is usually sweat. Men tend to sweat more in general, combined with the likelihood of extra gym time. The act of sweating does not necessarily cause the acne flare-up, rather it is the time it remains on the skin that eventually clogs your pores. Clogged pores trap oils and dead skin cells, which leads to zits and painful cystic acne.
- What Is the First Plan of Attack?
- Fighting body acne in men begins in the shower. Keeping the skin as clean as possible and washing immediately after a sweat session at the gym can ensure your pores are kept clean and open. It is best to pick a cleansing soap that contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. An exfoliating body wash can be even more effective at scrubbing away dead skin cells and unclogging pores. Just be sure to change your washcloth after every wash, as acne-causing bacteria can linger. Keeping your sheets clean and changed frequently is also a good idea to combat breakouts for this same reason.
- How Can a Dermatologist Help?
- If you don’t seem to be winning against your acne battle at home, a trip to the dermatologist is recommended. It may be as simple as getting a prescription for a daily cleanser or getting a chemical peel to improve your mild acne. Olansky Dermatology Associates specializes in adult acne and skin care for men by offering state-of-the-art Laser Treatment or Blue Light Photodynamic Therapy for more severe acne.
With the proper attention and treatment, acne at any age can be eliminated. Make sure you are giving your skin the care it deserves and its rewarded appearance will follow!
Posted on behalf of Dr. Jodi E. Ganz, Olansky Dermatology Associates
Circle Us on Google+