With the New Year upon us, it is time to start making those resolutions. Our skin is often something we neglect or think we have to spend a lot of money on to fight the aging process. However, there are some simple lifestyle changes you can make that will dramatically affect your skin’s health and appearance. Consider these 5 resolutions for healthy skin this year:
- Protect Yourself – Vow to use more sunscreen this year. Not just a higher SPF during your beach vacation but a daily moisturizer that includes UV protection.
- Stop Smoking – This may already be on your list. But if you put down the cigarettes, you will do more than save your lungs. Smoking actually causes more wrinkles by decreasing blood flow to your skin’s outermost layer and reducing elasticity in your skin.
- Moisturize – By simply limiting long hot showers and detergent soaps that strip natural oils from your skin, you will see a big difference in your skin’s moisture and health. Using a daily moisturizing lotion is also helpful.
- Eat Healthy – Again this is a common New Year’s resolution that will benefit your skin too. Research suggests that a diet rich in vitamin C and low in unhealthy fats and processed carbohydrates promotes younger looking skin.
- Manage Stress – By taking steps to manage stress in your life, you will cut down on potential acne breakouts or other skin disorders triggered by stress.
Commit to taking care of your skin this year. A routine check up to a dermatologist can ensure your skin is optimally taken care of. In addition, do not forget that you can get an annual skin cancer screening at your dermatologist this year. Cheers to healthy skin!