Rosacea can be a very disruptive skin condition without a known cure or definite cause. It is marked by redness, chronic and recurring flushing and a thickened and bumpy skin texture on the face. Rosacea can affect all skin types and skin colors.
While there are effective treatments to alleviate your rosacea symptoms, a dermatologist will advise patients to avoid certain environmental factors that may trigger a rosacea flare up. Remember that every patient’s skin is different so it is important that you identify your personal rosacea trigger. Here are some common environmental triggers that may send you into an uncomfortable flush:
- Food: Chocolate, spicy foods, soy sauce, citrus fruits and caffeine are known for aggravating rosacea.
- Drinks: Stay away from alcoholic beverages like beer, red wine, bourbon, gin and vodka if you want to reduce your chances for a flare-up.
- Emotional Influences: Some patients find that stress and anxiety worsen their symptoms.
- Skin Care Products: Ask a dermatologist if your make-up, moisturizers and even hair products are safe for rosacea sufferers.
- Weather: Harsh weather such as intense sun exposure, strong winds, cold or high humidity can unveil your rosacea symptoms.
- Temperature: Avoid saunas and hot baths if you have rosacea.
- Medications: Certain medications are known as triggers, including vasodilators and topical steroids.
- Physical Exertion: You may notice that your rosacea is worse after a strenuous workout or excessive lifting.
- Medical Conditions: If you are going through menopause, have a chronic cough, or recently stopped consuming caffeine, you may find that your rosacea is raging.
Some patients with mild rosacea may find that avoiding certain triggers is all they need to do to keep their symptoms at bay. However, many patients seek the help of a dermatologist to manage their skin condition. At Olansky Dermatology Associates, we offer the most advanced rosacea treatments available to minimize the impact that rosacea has on your quality of life.