Acne is one of the most widespread skin problems that both men and women face. It can be an embarrassing condition that affect quality of life for some. Seeking acne treatment from a board certified dermatologist, however, can significantly increase your chances for winning the battle against pimples. There are many misconceptions surrounding acne, and if you are guilty of believing these myths, you may be making your acne condition worse instead of better.
Learn the truth about acne and stop believing these common acne myths:
- Acne is only a teenage problem. It may be true that adolescents are more prone to acne, but it is a skin problem that adults can face too. It can be just as severe and just as embarrassing as an adult. Some adults suffer from severe acne scarring, which can be effectively treated by a dermatologist.
- It’s okay (or good) to pop pimples. Not only is popping your zits not effective at making them disappear. You are setting yourself up for other bad scenarios such as bacterial infection, cysts and broken capillaries.
- Toothpaste is a good daily acne treatment. Putting a dab of toothpaste on your acne at night may seem like a miracle at-home remedy for your pimples. While it does dry out your pimples, it is not necessarily a good long-term treatment for your face. Many toothpastes contain menthol, which can irritate the skin and cause inflammation.
- Leave acne alone. Simply choosing to let your acne problem run its course is not a good idea. This can leave you with subsequent dark spots and scarring that could have been avoided. In addition, your acne can worsen if not treated properly.
- Deep scrubbing reduces acne. As much as you wish you could, you can’t scrub away your acne. Avoid using exfoliants and alcohol-containing cleaners on your face, these are too abrasive and they can irritate your face and make your acne worse. Instead, opt for a mild soap to gently wash your face twice a day.
At Olansky Dermatology Associates, we understand how difficult it is to manage and treat your acne – regardless of your age. You will find that we treat every patient based on his or her unique skin condition and needs. We have a full range of acne treatments, ranging from facial cleansers and topical creams to laser therapy and more. We are where Atlanta residents turn for excellence in skin care.